10.06.2010

Universe says : 'Hai thur.'

October is coming in like a lamb, but will be a firecracker of excitement by the start of November..

I've completed my pattern planning for my long-planned giraffe I'm making for a friend's two year old cousin. I'm really excited about it! It's probably the largest scale thing I've done. I special ordered this delicious giraffe print minky fabric from the states - it's so, so soft! It's also going to have cream and brown felt embellishments. Should be fun! I just finished building a paper model of this giraffe. I like having it SUPER planned out before I start cutting fabric, especially when it's nice fabric. I think the legs and neck are going to be a little shorter and the head a little smaller, but it will look rather similar to this. I'm actually quite fond of this paper fellow that I have constructed. He sort of has a personality, don't you think?

I have talked to my film instructor about the film I proposed on paper on Monday. I was so nervous about this (the cappuccino I had right before I went in didn't help the anxiety so much). But it turns out, she liked the idea and said I was quite clear with my description. She gave me some great pointers on how to focus the purpose of the film a little more. It is going to be absolutely amazing! The shot list is due next week, I may post some 'teaser' storyboard panels if I feel like it. I've come up short on finding a kind of paint that adheres to film without flaking or being too opaque. It seems ink is my only option. I'll see what I can do with that! I shoot my film start of November. Then I get  to show it to the first audience I've had since high school. Should be.... nerve wracking.

Also happening next week: proficiency tests with film equipment, film midterm exam. My Aunt is coming into town on Thursday, which should be fun! We've got five VIFF films lined up, possible plans to go see The Guardians of Gahoole (seriously cannot get over how adorable those owls are), and on Saturday we're having my Gran and a friend over for a Thanksgiving superfeast. After my Aunt departs, then my Dad's coming to visit for a few days. While he's here, I hope to check out the Body Worlds exhibit at Science World, the Beaty Biodiversity Museum and also have him move my refrigerator for me.

One thing I've started doing is drawing onto old book pages. I have this copy of Doctor Zhivago that I bought for a dollar my first semester at University., read once, and truly, truly did not understand what it was about. It was a pretty haggard copy when I got it, and by the time I finished with it, it was basically falling apart. It's an edition from the 60's, so it's got a bit of that gorgeous brown tint around the edges of the pages. The pages have also become quite brittle. I did a set of botany drawings on them. They can be seen on my Deviantart (here, here and here) or on my Etsy! I'm quite proud of them. The pitcher plant is my favorite, inks wise. The ginkgo is my favorite colours wise. The orchid I'm not too fond of, I screwed up the perspective a bit and it turned out a little sloppy.

I went to see Let Me In (which I kept confusing with Never Let Me Go,  for some foolish reason) with a friend this evening. I wasn't entirely sure what it was about going in, which always makes for fun viewing. It is a remake of a Swedish film that I haven't seen (yet), it's about a fairly bizarre relationship between a young boy and a vampire who appears to be a 12 year old girl. Aside from the bizarre pacing of the film, it was creepy. It was a creepy relationship that had moments of innocent, adolescent cuteness, punctuated by lots and lots of blood. The whole film (plus the temperature of the theater) made me feel strangely cold. What was refreshing about it, however, was what a vampire actually was. I've been hearing way too much about this sparkly-man-Twilight nonsense. A cold, dark, slightly bloody film with an odd spark of  a relationship that endures a remarkable number of horrors.

I'm realizing, lately, my severe lack of horror movie knowledge. I mean, I have seen remarkably few. Maybe I'll turn this October into my horror month. Tell me things I need to watch!

Two things that go amazing together: Genetics readings and the Blade Runner soundtrack. So awesome!

Phrase I haven't heard in a while: nah nah nah nah boo boo.


Anyways, tomorrow is a big day of Aquarium, begging for a job, film lab, shopping, baking, furious cleaning and maybe a nap. Hope everyone has a great rest of their week!

What I'd really like to be doing right now. Via.

No comments:

Post a Comment