4.29.2013

Moving Forward: Reflections on three years of film school (sort of)


Well, another screening has come and gone. Another year of university has done the same. Relieved and incredibly nervous that this time next year I'll be headed out of my post-secondary career and out into the deep end.

The SFU 3rd Year Screening: Free was two Thursdays ago, and it was tremendous - thank you to everyone who came out to see our films. 'A Spoonful of Sugar' was pleasantly received. It was great to show something in the theater again, I always forget what that rush is like. My classmates' films were absolutely top-notch, and I've got to say it's our best screening yet. I can't wait to see what everyone pulls off next year.


As for a short reflection on this semester's film, 'A Spoonful of Sugar' - I kept it simple; story-wise and process-wise, and it gave me a decent hold on my subject material in a way that made it easier, and more constructive to direct. I shot it on a camera I hadn't worked with before, the oddly nonsensical Panasonic HPX-300, a nice small crew, and an even smaller cast - all performed their duties admirably. I was overly hesitant to shoot pick-ups, and I think that could have given me a little more to work with given the mock-documentary nature of the film. I cut it longer than I thought I would, coming in at eight and a half minutes (from a six and a half page script), but I wanted to see what I could get away with concerning slow pacing. The HPX-300 performed so well on the big screen. Upon bringing it into Final Cut 7, the image was remarkably noisy - I was concerned it wouldn't even be a clear picture. But once it was up there, it looked unique up against the Red Scarlett and 7D footage. A little soft around the edges. Some character in the medium is nice sometimes (see: film).

It was really bizarre going into this screening - with my previous projects with SFU, my pre-screening trepidation began about three days prior to screening it, with considerable self-loathing, and excuses as to why something was a certain way. With 'Spoonful', I completed the project about 24 hours prior to the screening (a bizarre turn of events, first off - go time management) and proceeded to be rather at peace about the whole thing. It was a much more positive experience seeing my film in this mindset, as well as every other film. I could sit back and enjoy everything. Of course, I was still nervous - I got laughs where I wasn't quite expecting, but they were all stilled by the end (a preproduction goal was to make people laugh awkwardly, then feel bad that they laughed at all - achievement unlocked!)

Other than my own film, I got my hands dirty with some cinematography and colour grading on some of my classmates' projects - something I've loved especially about this semester. After directing/photographing my past two projects, just being able to run camera and deal with lighting was a slice of delightful, technically and creatively challenging pie. I loved being able to try things out without trying to direct actors at the same time. When you're doing both, it's really tough to weigh how your time is spent - you need your actors to have the resources to perform well, but you've also got to make sure everything looks just right. As for colour grading, I love being able to learn new tricks and techniques - I've gotten a little more snug with Apple's Colour. Hopefully next year I can see what's up with Adobe Speedgrade and DaVinci Resolve.

Thanks to an unexpected class assignment, I got out and did some 35mm photography last month. It's a tremendously zen passtime for me. I pick a day, and walk around until a pocket-full of rolls is exhausted, or I've lost too much light. I've included some of those photos in this post.

I've really enjoyed having a bit of time to myself this week. My grades came back fine, got my nose into some library books I didn't have the chance to earlier in the year. Finally started work in the yard - planted up all of my potatoes, tomatoes, beans, and peas. I've been enjoying spending two or three hours a day out in the sun (!) taking care of business. I'm going to enjoy some more incoming sunshine this week once these clouds get all rained out. Though, I am also preparing for a fierce, summer-long battle to keep wasps and ants and cats out of my yard.

Plans for my grad film took a leap forward with the handing in of my production package for school. I'm taking a short breather before I get back into the absurdist logistics that is that circus. I'm starting to acquire my band of misfits as I go a long - I look forward to being able to really start bringing threads together in the coming months.

I've heard this said before, but planning to shoot a film is rather similar to going to war (in a super-friendly, I'm-working-for-the-entertainment-industry sort of way). You have your supply lines, the pit in which you throw your money, training for physical and mental endurance, building a tiny army worthy of your picture. Your enemy is, and always will be, time. You've got strategies, schedules, plots... enough catering to feed said tiny army, a clear and organized way to handle gear and film loading, everyone's got their specific job - but they're all cogs in the watch that is the film. It's so super!

Although thinking about August has me pretty nervous - I know I still have lots and lots to do (revision till you drop, then storyboard whilst in the fetal position), I can't help but feel sort of warm and fuzzy thinking about bringing a crew to my home town, and sharing that experience with them. I'm really, really excited.

I got some super books in the mail from the American Society of Cinematographers this month. The first is the Arriflex SR3 Book by Jon Fauer - I'll know this camera inside and out before I even get my paws on it. The other two books I got was the Visual Effects Society Handbook (which is an absolutely amazing, amazing book) and the ASC Visual Effects Treasury (in theory, a good publication, but someone spared some expenses on the actual, physical book - it's awful).

East Van's got a wicked case of pink "snow"
This summer's music mix is turning out to be an eclectic collection of Dinosaur Jr, Age of Electric, and Macklemore/Ryan Lewis. Fun stuff?

"This time next year" is currently a very exciting prospect.


Things to check out:

SFU 4th Year Screening(s) - VIDEOGNOME! This week! Check it out! Buy tickets! Come party afterwards!
Help us Great Warrior!
- Joel's views on two camera set ups - tips n' tricks, aw yiss
A song for your ears

No comments:

Post a Comment