3.08.2012

March. March. March.

 Ooh, and it's March already. I've got a pile of things on the ol' "TO DO" list this month - most of that pile are things I'd like to get over with sooner rather than later.

Asides from discovering a voracious affinity for avocado spread on toast (so heavenly - go try it), not a whole lot is new. I'm currently searching high and low for a shiny new job to acquaint myself with. I'm convinced that a new job is my answer to everything. Money woes, boredom woes, getting out and meeting new people woes, all of those woes that haven't let up since sometime mid-2011. I'd really like to get back into the business of books. Bookstores are the most zen place in the world for me, and I would like nothing better than to just be immersed in those paperback labyrinths - dealing with other humans who also enjoy finding those literary gems in the stacks. Girl's gotta dream.

I made peace with the university library recently, and now I have a gigantic stack of film books I'm chugging through. I'm really getting a kick out of these interview-type books on filmmaking. I finished Principal Photography the other day, which is a series of interviews with fifteen cinematographers. It's fascinating the methods of the greats - many things are so similar, yet stylistically and biographically, there are these wonderful differences that are responsible for the immense spread of cinematography methods we see in film today. Two interviews that I found particularly enlightening were those of Gordon Willis (The Godfather, Manhattan) and Allen Daviau (E.T, The Color Purple, Empire of the Sun). The interviews contained some technical jargon, but a lot of what they had to say was concerned with how people work on set together, the responsibilities of their post before, during and after production, and some good mantras to remember as a student (and I'm sure, as a professional as well). It also had a great interview with Garret Brown, who developed the Steadicam, "...the moving camera lets you break into the medium itself- the screen stops being a wall and becomes a space you can play in." Next on my list are a large stack of 'director on director' books, more interview-type things. I'm looking forward to exploring some Tarkovsky films in the near future, so I can read his books. I was also just lent two 35mm still photography books (and cameras!) from my friend, Aerlan - which I am pretty jazzed to get my paws on.

I started sewing again yesterday, having freshly cleaned and organized my perpetually filthy desk. Here's a sneak peak of a purple beast I'm about half done. I have a feeling his jowls are subconsciously inspired by dear old Jake from one of my all time favorite cartoons, Adventure Time. Which is a show I think everyone should watch. Everyone. Ever.

I'm finding with my feltie designs in the past two years, although the faces are changing - becoming more complex and expressive - the body shapes are not. In fact, many are just the same base shape. I think once I finish this purple fella, I'm going to try and branch out shape-wise and see what can happen. I'm looking forward to, what I hope is, a long trend of super-felt beasties!

Not too much else to say today! Just make sure you all have MAY 2nd booked on your calendar for the Simon Fraser University 2nd year film screenings! It'll be an evening comprised of a mixed-bag of adventure and super 16mm! Who could ask for more?! I sure couldn't. I would also highly recommend checking out the SFU 3rd year screenings on April 12th AND the SFU Grad screenings on May 3rd, 4th and 5th. All of these are being shown at the Djavad Mowafaghian Cinema at SFU Woodwards!



Things to look at!

     Cool kiddie crafts over at Kids Craft!

     Check out 2011's National Geographic Photo Contest!

     Watch a jewel wasp zombify a cockroach! Science!

     Plus, I was super thrilled to find this documentary on YouTube. After reading a book about all of George Roy Hill's films, I got relatively stoked about finding out how Hill works. This 1970 documentary on the making of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is so superb. I love it. So much. Watch it. As soon as humanly possible.




I saw People of a Feather this past year at VIFF and was impressed by the fact that it was an environmental film that did not preach that the sky was falling. It was able to explain, in simple terms, one specific problem that was causing deaths in the Eider ducks in Canada. What was even better is it's ability to introduce ideas to solve this problem, all while giving a unique historical comparison to the natives of that area, hundreds of years ago to the present.

Please check it out if you have the opportunity! It won best Environmental film at VIFF and was made by three SFU graduate students, two of which stemmed from the film production program.
VANCOUVER DATES:
March 2nd-5th, Vancity Theater
March 6th-9th, Denman Cinema
March 10th-13th, RIO Theater * Cancelled due to BCLC restrictions

     And, thanks to my roommate, I have spent an unreasonable amount of time watching these two brothers be adorable, intelligent and awesome back and forth over YouTube. EXAMPLE:

     Community is back NEXT WEEK.

I hope everyone is having a peachy start to the month. It's going to fly by, I am sure of it.

     If you're not too tired hearing about this Kony business... READ ON.




On KONY 2012:
I don't often like to discuss these sorts of things, because I am aware I am radically unqualified compared to the people who should be talking about such global topics - but considering the senseless circulating going on without any sort of discrimination or sensible research, I'm going to throw in my two cents. For shits and giggles.

Well, this video (released by Invisible Children) has been sweeping the internet for the past few days and the turn of events has been rather interesting to witness. First, it was exhilarating: posts on Facebook, it had numerous trends going on Twitter and people were planning to cover various cities with posters. Some twelve hours later, having shared this video quickly became a liability as Visible Children started circulating around, discrediting Invisible Children as a not-for-profit, explaining some financial pot holes and putting the movement into a global context. So there was a bandwagon, then a bandwagon against the bandwagon and now it's rather hard to differentiate which is more important, or for that matter, which facts are correct.

Many things have irked me about this Kony project - or perhaps it is more the culmination of these short lived media driven campaigns that mean well, but fizzle out - seeing as a news story seems to decay at an incredible rate these days. Of course this is a terrible issue, tragic and occurring in another part of the world that is notorious for it's inability to be helped because of innumerable corrupt governments. And it would be great if people were more aware, and more proactive in their communities to build awareness and knowledge - because to me, education is the first step in anything. But this is a large, sprawling problem - Kony only a symptom of a much larger dysfunction. It's difficult for me to discuss it fully, as I realize that no amount of research I do by the time this fad fades into Twitter's yesterday would qualify me to give a constructive opinion, complete with global ramifications. But one of the most ridiculous things I have noticed is the blind circulation of a digital media, and the smugness of those for or against the project. It's the newest 'thing' to be into, the new brand. And it's unfortunate that movements such as this, which aim to cater to humanity and the equal rights of all, end up being marketed to youths in such a way that it becomes a brand, rather than an issue. But it seems the only way anything sticks in our highly apathetic generation is when important issues are marketed as these easily digestible sound bites. All too often absorbed into our brains without the necessary informational support or historical context for us to understand it. A movement or a disaster or an issue is brought to our attention, for a day or two that's all we can Tweet about, then it's dropped - completely forgotten because it stops being the 'it' thing to be concerned about. There isn't even really enough time to make up our minds and develop an opinion.

It's a little depressing.

This has been, for me, a hard thing to wrap my head around because of the sheer size of this issue within an issue ad infinitum. Although Invisible Children has expressed only an interest in helping people help other people, it is impossible to even consider doing this without taking into account political and economic implications. Which are two lame things to think about when considering global well-being because they are two astronomically gigantic, immovable and often misunderstood abstract entities. I would love if we could help individuals in third world countries maintain safe, educated, productive and healthy lives - but the muddled soup that is politics and economy makes it difficult to help anyone for very long. However, with these adverse entities looming over the globe, how are we to ever actually help anyone in the long term? This is where I think videos and movements like KONY 2012 come into effect. Yes, they ask for donations, but they also strive to inspire personal and political action with issues that are too large for a handful of grad students to tackle. Probably too large for any number of people to tackle.

Sorry, this ended up being a long winded (and probably poorly argued) incomplete thought about this whole thing. I would read up a bit on it before posting it or it's criticisms all over the place. Global issues are remarkably touchy, and rightfully so I suppose - as there never seems to be a right answer.

This was released today from Invisible Children, countering the current wave of criticisms.

In the end, I was previously unaware of this man, his actions and actions taken by the United States government. And the video, eye catching and inspiring, did in the end resolve another corner of ignorance on my part.

Read more here, also here.

No comments:

Post a Comment