6.27.2012

Rain rain go away.

It's been so rainy here in Vancouver! It's getting on my nerves. I just want to sit outside and read as the tomatoes in my garden flourish. I mean really now. Also, carrying your laundry to the laundromat in the rain isn't all that exciting. Neither is hanging laundry to dry. Because it never dries. Ever.

After a weird sort of job shuffle, I am unemployed for the entirety of June. This time without school or work, once a dream to my younger self, has become a penniless adventure in rainy town. Finding things to do has been interesting, making play-dates, going for walks, cleaning the house, vanquishing our jungle-lawn and watching like... three movies a day. Otherwise, for the month of June - I've got a film gig or two lined up, and I've been over to the island for a few days I think to visit my Gran. A myriad of things, I suppose, that I haven't been able to do due to school, work and grinding routine. July and August are going to be a lot of work, so my laziness will probably average to a 'sort of' looking back on the summer over-all.

For when the sun comes out, and stays out: http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/capilano-pacific-trail/

Writing exercises - trying to blog a little more (hah, that's going well), journal a little more and attempt to form some sort of a cohesive idea for a film idea or two. I took a screen writing class this past spring and found it quite difficult to form an entire story arc. I enjoy creating characters, environments and inciting incidents - but I can't seem to get the hang of writing conflict. That could be because I actively avoid conflict on a day-to-day basis.





Here's a little video from a tiny bit of footage I got over on the island:


And I was also fussing around with Color, which is a program I've owned since high school, but apparently couldn't get over my initial intimidation when opening the program until two days ago. So here's some basic fooling around - crushing blacks, trying to bring out as much detail as possible. Going through shot to shot, I realize how often I overexpose. Wonderful, self-taught lessons. I also have a ton to learn about Color workflows/workflows in general. I've got my work cut out for me, sheesh. Onwards!



While I was over there, it was really great to just have a quiet place to read and think. I dumped my 'best and therefore only' idea for my fall film idea and replaced it with something shiny and new. I'm pretty excited about it! I'm trying to develop something, while on the simpler side, that will offer me unique challenges. I think this third year will be, for me, a series of obstacles - both technological, creative and social - that I'll have to work through one at a time. It'll take some prep, but I'm nice and on my way. One of the weird anxieties I've been having with my ideas is that they're not 'mature' or 'critical' enough, the plot not embodying the duality of man and all of his infinitely confusing feelings. I don't know why I've considered this such a disfunction of my person, as 'writing what you know' seems to be a rather popular mantra recited in literature. 

Also: Mark Ruffalo as the Hulk? The answer is yes.

I got my first mini-harvest from the garden yesterday - a little handful of radishes! I'm also discovering that my yard, apparently, is a huge hangout for slugs! Yay! Just kidding. It's horrible. They seem to favor this one kind of mesclun in particular. I'll have to devise a plan soon about how to deal with that. My peas, romaine lettuce and pumpkins are doing rather well. Most of my carrots didn't come up, but I think I'll reseed that area this week.

I've also discovered an interest in nature drawings? I think next time I go out and about in the woods I'll bring a sketchbook and see what's up with that. Last night I stayed up and drew a fish. Yes. A flag rockfish. I think he turned out pretty charming, if I do say so myself. Check out the finished product here. I haven't coloured with pencil crayons in aaaages, so it was pretty fun. Bits of him didn't turn out very well, but if you squint, it's all better.

Still stitching away at this one project. Yeesh, it's taking ages. I got a request for a puffin recently. Maybe that'll be my feltie challenge for the fall?

Looks like the sun's finally out in Vancouver! It's so foreign and glorious!



Things to chigiddy-check out:

Rheanna Toy - fellow film classmate is documenting some excellent installation and dance work, check out her stuff!

Buttercup Festival by David Troupes

Documentary Heaven

Crash Course and Sci Show- more fantastic learning adventures with John and Hank Green. On a side note, I recently ordered every single John Green book through Café Books. I mean, I could have gotten them from the library - but really, Mister Green deserves all of my dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment