7.02.2012

Harvesting Bravery

Happy July everyone! In the two days I've had in the month, I've been whittling my way through Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles, making banana bread, and fuming about this and that and the other thing. Namely all of this rain. I just want to see the sun for more than an hour at a time!

Here's something to think about for a moment: the fact that a great many of us think about the same relatively futile things, but are rather persistent in hiding it from one another. It seems rather... absurd. The fact that a great many of us seem to experience the same confusion and doubt on a daily basis - you'd think there would be much more of a community of 'communal human experience'. Apparently this is something that does not exist..

I'm currently doing video work for PRESL Vancouver. It's proved to be a challenge for me, in the first two days, just because I've never had to spit out a couple videos so quickly after shooting the footage every day. My first obstacles came in the compression stage, as the client requested that the files be .wmv. I am on a Mac, so this ended up being a large hullaballoo. What I ended up doing (after numerous 'trial-and-error' programs), is utilizing a little program called Video Monkey. What this allowed me to do was export as a .wmv as well as monitor the file size output, which was vital because we have to upload everything to a server and we have a cap. My job for today was figuring out Automator for Mac to resize and rename photos as per the client's request.  Hair-pulling adventures!

Still whittling away at my film for the fall. I'm getting increasingly attached to it. I've got a bit of conflict going, so I'm going to say - it'll work out just fine. I've got a whimsical wee feeling that I'd like to establish in the styling of the environment and the characters that inhabit it. I think it's going to be a blast. But for now, it's something I might send to my parents as a first draft as a sort of 'how stupid does this sound?' litmus test, then send it on to more critical eyes.

In gardening news, my vegetables have gone a little feral, as I've been a little busy/it's been pouring rain at all hours, and things have gone rather jungle-like. I did harvest some radishes last week though, and my first strawberry of the year. Pretty superb. Looks like the snap peas I planted are going hell-a nuts. Hopefully the weather will not be despicable this weekend, and I can actually caretake my yard/get weird sunburns.

I definitely started watching Doctor Who last week. Cannot stop. Just a heads up. If I disappear for a few days, I'm probably curled up in a dark corner watching Doctor Who.

Toodles!






Things to check out!

Canadian Framelines! Check out Ryder White and Alexandra Caulfield (plus their amazing bus) showing off their splendiferous exploration of Canadian identity, super 8mm film (yes!) and community. They've got an Indiegogo campaign started up, be sure to check out all of their videos!

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, PLUS To Wong Foo: Thanks For Everything, Julie Lamar - between the two, you see Guy Pierce, Hugo Weaving, Terence Stamp, Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes and John Leguizamo having a pretty swell time in drag. In addition, with Priscilla, you get gorgeous Australian landscapes. You really cannot go wrong here.


No comments:

Post a Comment